Saturday, January 2, 2016

Looking backward, looking forward

Ancient Roman god Janus. Source: Wikipedia
In college, one of my favorite courses was about the Greek and Latin roots of the English language. We learned about Janus, a Roman mythical god with two faces -- one looking backward and one looking forward. That's where the word "January" comes from.

I've spent the last few days reflecting on 2015 as I prepared my heart to enter this new year. One of my biggest lessons of the last year was grasping that we live within tension: life is beautiful AND life is hard. God loves us AND sometimes we suffer. Good AND bad things find us. We experience dazzling victories AND baffling defeats. It's a lesson that I'm carrying into this new year.

Life is so worth living and we are privileged that we get to do it. No one knows how many days and years we're allotted in this beautiful AND dangerous world. One thing we know is that we're all given the opportunity to live in a way that counts.

My prayer is that no matter where life finds us at various points in 2016, we would choose to live well and love others well. Sometimes, living and loving well is an act of courage. May we all rise to the occasion and do so with much joy.

Happy New Year! May 2016 be peppered with peace and many blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment