Tuesday, January 19, 2016

For the audience of ONE

"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." -- Eric Liddell, Chariots of Fire

I competed in a national taekwondo tournament in Frisco, Texas, this weekend.
I love and enjoy people, but performing in front of them often makes me nervous and flustered. In times past, I've become so nervous at taekwondo tests and competitions that I get inside my own head, foil myself and mess up.

This time around I began thinking: what if I performed as if I were doing it before an audience of One -- as unto God? 1 Corinthians 10:31 says, "So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." So, why not taekwondo?

The shift in thinking was helpful because I realized that whether I earned medals during the competition or not, it was still God's show no matter what. This took some of the pressure off and even though I was still nervous, I enjoyed myself. I felt God's pleasure throughout the weekend.

I made a couple of mistakes with my form (a set of movements that demonstrate mastery at one's belt level), I lost points in a couple of my sparring matches for "hitting too hard," and I earned a gold medal in board breaks. Overall, I had a fantastic time.

Five of my teammates from my fall Peru Inca trek came out to support me.
So grateful for them and their love! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment