Friday, December 4, 2015

So many ugly things in the world and yet, beauty


So many ugly, difficult things in the world this week have made me sad:

The teenage acquaintance of a friend ended his life. Politicians using a dire humanitarian situation as an opportunity to spew hatred and sow discord. Another act of domestic terrorism, this time a mass shooting in San Bernardino, California. Careless damaging words strewn across social media, particularly on friends' pages. Rapidly growing cancer in the body of a friend.

It's weeks like this that tempt me to despair and wallow there. There is SO MUCH bad in this world.

And yet, it's times like these that I hear a constant Whisper in my spirit reminding me that hope and beauty abound even more...if only I have eyes and a heart to see them: This week, I've seen beauty in:

A tree refusing to surrender its leaves while laying down a welcome carpet of gold.

A magnificent rose-colored sunset following days of torrential rain and dreariness.

Where are YOU seeing beauty this week?


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." -- Romans 15:13

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Lola. Even though I could despair in my sister's recent cancer diagnosis and brain surgery, I find that I am finding beauty and gratitude in small things everywhere. I am grateful for every moment that I have with my sister. I'm thankful for the beautiful view of our city from the hospital room she just got moved to, for her wonderful friends who love her, and for so many other blessings, both big and small. When something like the California shooting happens, I now really relate to the victims' families. I realize what they've lost, and I grieve for them. But, like you said, we must look for signs of hope amid the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing this, Kathy. It encourages my heart greatly as I read about how you're finding joy and beauty in the midst of a hard place. Blessings upon you and your sister, and God's peace upon you both as you face the days ahead.

      Delete