Wednesday, June 4, 2014

When cancer sucks.

At Rebecca's wedding in 2008.

I lost my sweet friend Rebecca to cancer this morning. She was 38.
Rebecca discovered last summer she had stage 4 colon cancer and underwent aggressive and painful treatments. She slipped into eternity at 8:50 a.m. today.

Right now, I want to spin-side kick cancer in the gut and in the face! It all seems so unfair. Life is hard and full of sorrow sometimes. Gah! But even in this craziness, God somehow constantly turns my heart toward hope. Sweet HOPE. Hope to live fiercely today because tomorrow is not promised to any of us.

I've been chewing on Romans 15:13 for a few days now. It somehow seems very appropriate today: "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound with hope."

I'm praying that God turns the hearts of Rebecca's family--her husband, her brothers--toward hope. And peace. And one day soon, joy again.

Posted by Rebecca on May 25

I'm so thankful to have known such a vibrant woman. Rebecca and I met in 2003 when I moved to Knoxville. I was on assignment for the News Sentinel to write about Market Square Booksellers, a new bookstore that had opened downtown. She was behind one of the counters that displayed her jewelry. I asked her about them and Rebecca, who was deaf, signed. I signed back and pretty soon, we launched into a conversation and made a lunch date. We became friends.

She eventually married and moved to Washington D.C. She came back to East Tennessee a few weeks ago to be near her family. I'm glad she was surrounded by those she loved when she passed.

Rebecca signs "I love you" this morning.
Photo is courtesy of one of her Facebook friends.

6 comments:

  1. I remember the day you two met in our bookstore. You both became our "daughters". Rebecca was so full of life. She was a real character. There was only one thing she couldn't do in the store and that was answer the phone. I remember Bob saying she scared him to death one day. She was in the back of the store reading something she found funny and squealed. He thought she had been hurt and went running only to find her deep in laughter. He got used to that squeal and knew she was enjoying her job. We were both so proud of her and the great help she gave us in the store. A wonderful lady is lost to this world but is now in heaven with Bob and her mother-great company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these memories, Dore. I'll be forever grateful to you and Bob for your friendship and for introducing me to Rebecca. Love you!

      Delete
  2. my heart is so saddened by this news. Cancer is awful. I hate it. I love this tribute to your friend. I admire how you keep up with people even when they move away. You have a beautiful heart, Lola. I know it cries now, but I also love that you remain hopeful. Our God is greater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to read this, Lola. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy. I appreciate it so much!

      Delete