Friday, June 20, 2014

Hittin' the trails!

I've started a new chapter of discovery and adventure now that grad school is behind me.
First on the list is hiking -- and lots of it. This summer, I plan to explore much of East Tennessee's woods on foot with friends and with the lovable Plucky Alapo, aka Plucky dog.

Plucky on House Mountain in East Knox County
The first Saturday in June found Plucky and me on top of House Mountain, the tallest point in Knox County. The roughly four-mile trek was moderate -- although, there were many spots where Plucky dog took the lead and literally pulled me over boulders and large fallen trees. He was like a nimble little mountain goat.

I packed us a lunch and I took my journal and we had a picnic at the top (well, Plucky watched me eat, mostly). I spent about an hour drinking in the sight of the lush valley below us and journaling. Then it was time to go home and we trekked back down. Fun times! It was my first trip to House Mountain, even though I've lived in Knoxville 11-plus years and it's is just 15 minutes from my house.

More to come on future hikes. I'm always in the market for friends to hike with me so let me know if you're available!

2 comments:

  1. I must visit House Mountain! What a nice view. I've been in Knoxville for 5 years and am just now adding this to my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! You would love it! It's neat to rediscover one's own city, isn't it? I'm doing a lot of that these days myself. Thanks for stopping by and for reading! :)

      Delete