Saturday, May 10, 2014

Master Lola!

I've been a Volunteer at heart for a while but I now have the cred to make it official.
I became Master Lola this week following the graduate hooding ceremony Thursday at the University of Tennessee. I am now an alumna of the Master of Public Policy and Administration (MPPA) program. YAY! In short, I am ready for a life in public service. Cool, huh?!

No job changes on the horizon. I'll continue in my gig in the UT office of media relations. Since I work at a state university, I am already a public employee. The degree will help me to do better what I'm already doing. I'm excited to see how life unfolds from here on out. I'm especially thrilled about all my newfound free time. It's a beautiful thing!

With other grads of the Master of Public Policy and Administration program




My dad and sister Remi traveled from New York City for the main campus ceremony. Their presence was such a huge blessing. Two of my dearest Knoxville friends Caroline and Rachel also were there to cheer me on.

Rachel, Remi, moi, dad and Caroline

The MPPA faculty held a smaller departmental ceremony for the 11 graduates on Friday and the program director personally hooded every one of us, which was super cool. (At the main campus ceremony Thursday, we put on our hoods ourselves. Only the doctoral candidates were hooded by their advisors.)

Professor Joe Jarret, moi and Professor and program director David Folz
An aside: I was totally digging the professors' procession robes and hats I saw at the main campus ceremony and our departmental hooding. They were among the coolest and most colorful I've ever seen. Makes me wish the professors wore them everyday in class. Haha.

One final photo of le graduate:
 
Downtown Knoxville in the background. I love my city!

2 comments:

  1. ah!! I love every thing about this post. Maybe especially the free time, but that's beside the point...yay! And I'm thrilled you had people who love you to being your in person cheer leading section.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to give you a big hug, Laura! You've been such a cheerleader and a faithful friend throughout this crazy grad school process. Thank you for celebrating this joy with me. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete