Tuesday, May 13, 2014

'A Snicker of Magic'

This past weekend, I indulged in my first non-academic book in months. My choice? "A Snicker of Magic" written by Natalie Lloyd and published by Scholastic.

It's a whimsical tale of a young word catcher and collector Felicity Juniper Pickle who travels the country with her mom, younger sister and dog Biscuit in search of home. They arrive in Midnight Gulch, Tennessee--a town once rumored to be magic. Felicity hopes to bring that magic back and in the process, set her family free from its wanderings.

The book is quite simply a delicious read. It's full of wacky characters (aka a beautician mechanic) and enough ice cream to inspire you to grab a bowl yourself (which I did. Two times.)

Felicity's joys and aches soon became mine because her experiences have once been mine--and in some instances still are, even as an adult. I found myself reading the book with pen in hand and underlining sentences as they bore witness to the very whispers in my heart. I know your happiness and pain, Felicity!

Released in February, this young adult novel caught the attention of the New York Times. That, my friends, is a big honkin' deal.

The book drives home this point: your words are more important than you know.

At Natalie's book release party in Oneida, Tenn. this spring
'Snicker' was especially enjoyable for me because it's written by my friend.

Natalie and I met 16 years ago in Colorado Springs when we were high school students. She was the winner of a writing contest where two other gals and I were runners up. The organization flew us all to Colorado for a weekend of photo shoots and girl fun. I returned home to Brooklyn, NY, and she to Oneida, TN, and we promised to stay in touch, which we did.

When I moved to Knoxville 11 years ago, Natalie and her family helped me find an apartment. They became my family since I had none in East Tennessee.


We both made a profession out of writing--I went the newspaper journalist route for a while and I'm now in public relations. Natalie went the magazine and columnist route and eventually wrote "Paperdoll," a book for teen girls about true beauty.

'Snicker' is her first novel. Pick up a copy for your children. Heck, pick it up for yourself. It's quite a ride.

1 comment:

  1. So fun! I love everything about this post - especially that you two still stay in touch. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete