Saturday, June 1, 2013

2nd degree black belt!

Sparring during testing today. Photo courtesy of Stephen Strouss

I'm now a second degree black belt in Taekwondo!! Those words still feel a bit foreign in my mind and mouth. This news is about 12 hours fresh.

I tested this morning at my school and it went well. It's funny though, as excited as I am about this new chapter of my Taekwondo journey, I've been pensive about it all day. It wasn't my best test as I felt like some of what I did was a little sloppy. I broke all three of my boards and I did my pattern correctly. But some of my techniques could have been smoother. (Sparring was super awesome, I think, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.)

I now feel this grave sense of responsibility toward my fellow classmates and particularly toward those who are still coming through the color belt ranks behind me. I want the way I train and improve my skills to challenge and encourage them to do the same. When they look at me as a 2nd degree, I want them to think, "that's how I want my patterns and kicks to look!"

When I passed the test for my 1st degree black belt 14 months ago, I was so overwhelmed. Attaining 1st degree black belt felt like the holy grail of martial arts. But I quickly realized the journey had really just begun. I had been learning and adding building blocks to the basics of Taekwondo during the three years before 1st degree.

Now in my fourth year of training and a 2nd degree black belt, I recognize that I'm still very much a learner, not an expert. And I love it. I always want to be teachable and I look forward to continued growth. I am so grateful for my master instructor James Rich and the other instructors at our school who are helping me along in the journey.

I also want to give a special shout out to my friend Kristen who traveled from Franklin to spend the weekend with me and attend my testing to cheer me on.

4 comments:

  1. You are so awesome! I am proud of you, Lola.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! And I loved every minute of the test. You rocked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! That is a wonderful accomplishment, and a great picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, friends! I appreciate it!! :D

    ReplyDelete