Sunday, April 7, 2013

Seattle

View from the ferry as we leave Seattle for Bainbridge Island

Love me some Sara!!
I spent part of spring break last month in one of my favorite cities -- Seattle. My trip to see my friend Sara was the first of three legs of my spring break trek. It rains A LOT in Seattle but the weather was gorgeous most of my time there. (I guess they knew I was coming.)

I met Sara in 2010 when she came to work for Scripps, the company that owns my former employer, the Knoxville News Sentinel. She and I had many food adventures as we deepened our friendship. She moved to Seattle last year for a new job.

When I arrived in Seattle, we carried on our food adventure tradition, from a dinner out at an Afghan restaurant named Kabul to meals created at home after an outing to Pike Place Market. (Ever seen or heard of the scruffy guys who throw fish?) I also spent time with Sara's equally cool sisters Judy and Liz, which was pretty neat.

Sara is an amazing baker. For my birthday a couple of years ago, she made a chocolate ganache cake that I would gladly give an arm to eat. It remains one of my favorite desserts. Well, Sara surprised me with half a chocolate ganache cake when I got to Seattle. A half cake for my almost half birthday, she said. :)


Other pictures from my time in Seattle:

Heading back to Seattle after an afternoon on Bainbridge Island

Pike Place Market, one of my favorite places in the city

Some of the fish mongers at the World Famous Fish Market
A flower guy and his beautiful bouquets inside Pike Place Market

This being Seattle, I drank lots of coffee. Hand model is Llewyn, Sara's friend
 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had fun - and I ate that cake with you in 2010!! Love the photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh! I remember that! I warmed the pieces too long and it melted the icing but it was still yummy. Thanks for sharing in that memory!! :)

      Delete