Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Old people friends

When my 90-year-old paternal grandmother died in January, I decided it was time to reconnect with my old people friends** in person. I often speak to them on the phone but nothing beats face time.

Since I was heading to Seattle to visit my friend Sara during spring break last month, it made sense to skip over to Brewster, Washington, to see Bob and Audrey. After a three and a half-hour drive through the spectacular Cascade Mountains, I found myself in their Eastern Washington driveway.

Bob in his yard in Brewster.

I met Bob in Alaska in 2005 while I was a volunteer camp counselor at Kako Retreat Center near Russian Mission. That summer, Bob helped build cabins and fix machinery and I hung out with Yupik Eskimo teen girls in a remote corner of Western Alaska off the Yukon Peninsular. Bob and I hit it off over the five or so weeks we were there. The following year, I visited Bob and his wife Audrey in Washington State and I've been going ever since. (An aside: they've been married 54 years and they're still all lovey dovey, holding hands and such. That tickles me!)

Brewster is in the middle of nowhere. Seriously. "Hitchhiking Permitted" signs were all along the highway. (Um, no thanks.) I did see one other black person and a number of people of Hispanic descent, so the town has some diversity. :)
Probably 80 percent of all apples in the U.S. come from tiny Brewster and several other towns surrounding it. Orchards stretch as far as the eye can see. Bob and Audrey's property is sandwiched by orchards on both sides. (And one across the street. And several more down the road.)

Bob and Audrey are fellow adventure seekers. So during the day, we would explore other little towns. One of my favorites was Winthrop, which has an Old West feel. At night after dinner, we would settle in for an hour of a "Matlock" rerun before bed. They usually go to bed at 9 p.m. but they stayed up until 10 p.m. for me.

Bob is super talented. He rebuilds Model T cars from the ground up and has done so for years. He can fix just about any piece of machinery out there. Audrey is a fantastic cook and I got some good eatin' while I was with them.

Before I left that last day, Bob and I spent the morning shooting on his property. Then after a tasty lunch and hearty hugs, I bid them farewell.

More pictures from my Brewster adventure:

Bob showing me his latest Model T project

Pearrygin Lake State Park in Winthrop


Bob and Audrey during our walk

Bob and me :)


I did this.
**Speaking of old people friends, I have others who are dear to my heart:
--Josephine, age 96.
-- My neighbors Robert and Juanita, ages 90 and 86.
-- Peter, age 88. Who knew my best guy friend would be a South African-born, British American octogenarian? Love it!

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you are doing this, Lola! It looks like an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete