Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Walking on water in Beantown

I can now add "walking on water" to my set of skills. Don't believe me? Here's proof:

Notice the crack in the ice to the right? eek!
I kicked off the year with a Jan 1-2 trip to Boston to visit my friends Andrew and Rene. We went for a walk through the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University and spied the above frozen pond that beckoned to us.

Andrew, being the chivalrous gent that he is, took his life into his own hands and stepped onto the pond to test its hardiness. When it didn't give, Rene and I took turns on the ice.

Nevermind that it was 20 degrees during our walk. (12 degrees the night before.) Pretty soon, we began playing ice soccer on the pond and participating in all manner of goofing off.

When we heard a loud pop and the ice cracking, we quickly jumped off.

Although I was raised in the Northeast, this was my first trip to Beantown. (Can you guess why it's called Beantown? Something to do with slaves, rum, molasses and beans. Seriously. Look it up!)

Andrew and Rene showed me downtown and other fun sights. When the wind got too unbearable, we went home and comforted ourselves with food, hot tea and several episodes of West Wing on Netflix.

(In addition to being my good friends, Andrew and Rene are also the grandson and granddaughter-in-law of my dearest friend Peter.)

Some other fun sights at the arboretum and around Boston:

I met this white guy at the arboretum. Tee hee.

I spied this cool mural on the side of a building downtown

A Jack and the Beanstalk ice sculpture
 
How cute is this?! Tiny library in Jamaica Plain where my friends live
 
What a cool house, also in Jamaica Plain
 

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrew! It was fun times. :)

      Delete
  2. It looks like you had a great time, I am glad! And we have those little libraries in neighborhoods in my hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool!! The News Sentinel did a story about a tiny library in Knoxville a year or so ago but I hadn't seen one with my own eyes until I went to Boston.

      Delete
  3. thanks for the post, Lola!! love the pictures! can you send them all to me somehow?
    and we LOVED have you with us :)

    ReplyDelete