Thursday, January 10, 2013

A decade in the 'Scruffy Little City'

Hard to believe I can now count my life in 10-year chunks.
Harder still is that I've been in Knoxville a whole decade. Today marks my 10-year anniversary in this Scruffy Little City.

Something strange happened along the way: I fell in love with Knoxville. This coming from a girl who only meant to be here three to five years. It was supposed to be a pit stop and a stepping stone to a bigger city. But roots are a powerful thing. They have this finicky way of growing down deep. Knoxville has been for me a place of deep friendships and deep character growth.

Honestly, I don't know what's next. There's a wanderlust rooted inside my being. I'm pursuing a master's degree in public administration with a focus on policy and international relations. I don't know where this will lead. If I've learned anything in the last 10 years, it's to make plans with open hands.

So for now, Knoxville will continue to be home. I'm content.

View of downtown Knoxville from Neyland Stadium
TDOT Henley Bridge Webcam
Source: WUOT 91.9 FM.

2 comments:

  1. That's such a pretty picture. And wow, 10 years. That means I've known you for 10 years! Time went so freaking fast, my friend. I agree with you, plans are to be made with open hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'll celebrate you being here for 10 years- goodness knows those ten years have been richer for Knoxville than any of the years before. Thanks for spiffing up our city, giving it some pop, some pizazz, and some much-needed depth. How about we get together and I'll treat you to lunch or dinner in honor of your 10 year anniversary? It's been too long since I've seen you!
    - Frances

    ReplyDelete