Monday, September 3, 2012

Kids = good birth control

Jack, Plucky and Ryan saying one last goodbye
The pitter-patter of 2-year-old and 5-year-old feet running through my house all weekend confirmed one thing: kids are fun but they are hard work. (Throw a four-legged pooch into the mix and whew!)
 
It's not like I didn't know it. I have a niece and three nephews, and I worked in the 2-year-old nursery at my church for many years. The difference was, at the end of the day I gave the kids back.
 
This weekend, I was with two rambunctious little ones around the clock. I loved it. But I now understand why parents are often sleep-deprived :)
 
During breakfast this morning, their mom and my good friend Amy turned to me and said, "kids are good birth control, aren't they?" I laughed. Yep. I want to have (and adopt) children someday because I love and enjoy them. But I'm in no hurry.
 
Some observations from this weekend:
-- I discovered rather quickly that my house is not childproof. How children manage to find knickknacks that I think are well-hidden is beyond me.
--I learned the language of a 2-year-old. ("I need a tover up!" Jack said, as he lay in bed clasping his blanket. A what? Oh, right, a cover up.)
--Children take pride in their toots. The boys announced it every time they farted. They wanted the world to know.
--The boys were quite fascinated by penises -- theirs and others'. When Plucky was not chasing them (or them chasing him), he was relaxing on the carpet and grooming himself. All weekend I heard, "I see Plucky's winky!" giggle, giggle. "He's licking his winky!"
 
Amy, her husband, Kyle, and the boys went back home to Middle Tennessee this afternoon. My house feels strangely quiet. Ahem, if you'll excuse, I'm going down for a nap. I've got to catch up on some sleep :)

No comments:

Post a Comment