Sunday, September 23, 2012

Autumn = chili season

Cooler temps give me the itch to do two things: run and cook.
As such, I made my inaugural pot of chili this evening in honor of fall. (My inaugural run was Thursday.)

I decided on pumpkin turkey chili. Sounds a bit odd but it's quite tasty (and loaded with nutrients). I got the recipe from my friend and former News Sentinel colleague Megan. It's quickly become one of my favorites so I would like to share the recipe.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped (I leave some of the seeds because I love the kick)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, jalapenos and garlic and cook, stirring frequently under tender, about 5 minutes. Add turkey and cook until browned. Add tomatoes, pumpkin, water, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add beans. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes more. And tada!

It should look something like this:


Happy eating!

Happy autumn!

4 comments:

  1. My fav remains the sweet potato chili. That was your recipe, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is!!! Hmm, I'm thinking I might make it this weekend since it's supposed to cool down some. It's been a while. Thanks for the inspiration :) I'll post the pic and the recipe when I'm done :)

      Delete