Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sarah Moore Greene has died

Photo by Clay Owen, Knoxville News Sentinel
Mrs. Sarah Moore Greene has died.
This was not unexpected. After all, she was 102. But it's still sad. Her godson sent me a text early this morning to share the news.

For those of you who don't know, Mrs. Greene was a beloved schoolteacher and an iconic civil-rights leader in Knoxville. She pioneered a lot of firsts.

I had the pleasure of interviewing her many times during my eight and a half years as a reporter for the Knoxville News Sentinel.

In 2010 when Mrs. Greene turned 100 years old, I did a four-part series about her life for the paper. Web producer Talid Magdy and I spent days with her. I interviewed her while Talid captured video.

I so enjoyed spending time with her that I visited with her a few times after the series ran. She told me she adopted me as her daughter. Mrs. Greene did not have biological children. It was especially meaningful to me that she took me into her heart.

During one of our last visits, I asked if I could pray with her. She turned the television down and she held my hands. I asked God to comfort during the times she felt lonely and that she would have a strong sense of His presence with her. I also prayed that she would be reminded often of how much God delighted in her and how precious she was to Him.

I'm honored and blessed to have known her. I desire to live my life fully and well like she did.

Here's the four-part series and videos on Mrs. Greene:

Greene recalls childhood as 'country kid'

A lifetime of learning for Sarah Moore Greene

Death inspired Greene's work

Sarah Moore Greene, 100, reflects on what's done, what's left

3 comments:

  1. So many reasons you were brought to Tennessee... and here was just one of them. Loved getting to know Sarah through you! -M. Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful, Lola!! thanks for sharing. And I love that you prayed with her, what a gift for both. I am sure God is smiling today. p.s. love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a special woman who was blessed with a long and eventful life. Thanks for posting the links to your articles!

    ReplyDelete