Wednesday, July 18, 2012

You can take the girl out of NYC but...

Even after nine-plus years of living in Knoxville, my heart is still very much in New York City.
Part of it, anyway.
I half-jokingly tell friends that my visits there remind me that I'm still normal. The diversity of people, looks, accents, food, thought, scenery, transportation, craziness all invigorate me.

I returned to Knoxville this weekend after eight days in New York City. It's where I grew up. During this trip, I was intentional about spending alone time with each family member. I was so thrilled it worked out. (We're usually in groups because there are so many of us.)

I also enjoyed time with old friends. I hung out with my junior high school pal Wendy who lives across the street from my parent's Brooklyn home; I met my friend Robert and his wife Rochelle for dinner at a cool Brooklyn diner; I visited the kid I babysat while in college (he's now 16.) And remember my friend Peter? He sent me back to Knoxville with another collection of books. (Sad face!!)

The trip wasn't exactly restful. But it was sweet.

Some scenes from last week:

In the Fort Greene neighborhood, Brooklyn.

My favorite landmark: Le Brooklyn Bridge.

Hot dog from a street vendor. Ketchup, mustard and sauerkraut? Yes, please.

I spotted this dude when Wendy and I were heading back from dinner. How he managed to ride this really tall bike with no seat was a mystery. But it was interesting to watch.
 
 I spent a day in Connecticut with my friend Peter and we stopped by the beach near his home.

Speaking of water, this is one of my favorite things to see in New York during humid summers.
  
By the way, I'm a light packer. I try to carry everything on board for domestic flights. It was pretty easy with summer clothes. I actually had room to spare. It's trickier in the winter and during the holidays. But I love the challenge. 

4 comments:

  1. I have been waiting on your New York travelogue. I thought about you this morning when Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind" popped up on my iPod. Oh, how I want to be there...New York, New York...what a town. Thank you for letting me visit awhile through your post.

    P.S. I downloaded the audiobook of David McCullough's history of the building of the Brooklyn Bridge over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lola, you remind me of something Papa Lloyd said the other day. I asked where he would like to live, if he could live anywhere in the world. His answer? "Wherever I am." I love how you embrace live, wherever you are! Your roots go down deep not only in every town, but on different continents as well. Hope to see you soon. Love the pic of you and your brother on FB! - Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lola! I'm going to New York for the first time in March! You'll have to tell me where to go, what to see, etc. I also need some help with my packing skills since you're such a skilled packer... Looks like you had a great trip. Perhaps you'll be due for another trip in March? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same way about Memphis. No matter how much I embrace Knoxville and make it my home, a part of my heart is still in Memphis.

    I can certainly see why NYC would do the same for you. It's such an amazing place, I would think it a shame if it didn't keep part of your heart!

    ReplyDelete