Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Girls' beach trip

I took three books to the beach last week but only read half of one because I kept dozing off as I watched the ocean waves. That, my friends, was a restful vacation.

I spent six glorious days on Kiawah Island, S.C., in early June with six other girlfriends. The trip was quite a gift. We stayed in a cottage owned by a family for whom one of the girls used to babysit.

Kiawah Island is the kind of place where deer run across the bike path and are spotted on the beach at night. My only regret was not seeing alligators even though there were many signs that warned against feeding and harassing them. Shucks.

We had some sun time. But even on cloudy days, the beach was still gorgeous.


When I wasn't snoozing on the beach, I explored the island on two wheels.


The trip allowed me to experience firsts including a trip to Charleston, which is about 40 minutes from Kiawah. Four of us girls visited the city's must-see sites like Rainbow Row, the Battery, the Market and Waterfront Park. Charleston is a walkable city, which is one reason I enjoyed it so much. There literally was history on every corner. Another thing: those Charlestonians are serious about their porches.




Back on Kiawah Island, we took turns cooking dinner. We also went out a few nights. One evening, we paid a visit to the hoity toity Ocean Course. (It will host the 2012 PGA Championships in August.) We had drinks as we took in the view. That's the Atlantic Ocean you're looking at just beyond the course.


I was thankful for the opportunity to recharge and to deepen my friendship with these fine lady friends.


As we left Kiawah Island that last day, we made one final touristy stop at the Angel Oak Tree, one of the oldest living things in the country. Legend has it that it's more than 1,500 years old. It's probably more like 300 to 400 years old. Either way, it's still one enormous tree.


For more pictures, please click here.

4 comments:

  1. I recommend a trip to the Bass Pond (you pass it on the way to Rhett's Bluff, which I see you visited from your Picasa Pictures - sorry I'm a stalker!) at sunset for prime Gator viewing. We've seen several there every year we've visited! (Which is 4 for me, 16 for my in-laws!) Kiawah is my favorite place, and I'm so glad you got to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm officially jealous that you saw gators!! I did pass the Bass Pond sign on a few bike rides but we didn't venture there. Even with all we saw/did, there was still so much we didn't. Here's to hoping for a return trip so we can discover more adventures at Kiawah :) Thanks for reading. Glad you liked the pics! I don't mind stalker friends :) :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you had that time with your friends - looks like so much fun! I've never been to Charleston, so I'm a bit, okay a lot, jealous :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, what beautiful photos. And how envious I am of your trip. Methinks about as close as I'll get to the beach this summer will be watching Elvis in "Girl Happy." Ha, ha. Seriously though, I hope you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete