Thursday, April 26, 2012

Compassion and Newsboys

I did a really cool thing tonight.
I was one of six people who staffed a Compassion International table during the Newsboys concert at the Knoxville Civic Auditorium. My sole purpose was to help concert goers consider and begin sponsorship of a child and embark on the incredible journey of breaking the cycle of poverty for a boy or girl halfway around the world.

I was near tears most of the evening, particularly as I helped people pick sponsorship packets or answered questions or shared briefly about my experience with Compassion.

Some of my table mates hamming it up

Compassion's mission of advocating for children and releasing them from spiritual, economic, social and physical poverty is something close to my heart. I've been a part of Compassion since December 2001 when I started sponsoring a boy named Jhonny in Bolivia. He turned 19 this month.

I've also sponsored a girl, Diane, in Rwanda since May 2004. She's now 14 and has been asking in her letters when we'll get to meet. I hope it's one day soon.

Being at the event tonight wasn't all work. We got to also enjoy the concert. I came home with ringing ears and a happy heart.

Newsboys! Michael Tate is that teeny figure on center stage

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! I did this at a Casting Crowns concert for World Vision and it was AMAZING. I loved every second of it. I think it's great when so many new people are introduced to child sponsorship.

    ReplyDelete