Thursday, April 12, 2012

The bling.

Here it is, y'all. It's officially official.

Boom!!

We had our belt ceremony this evening at my Taekwondo school. I don't always make it to the ceremonies but this one was especially important. So much so that I skipped statistics class for it. (I talked to the teacher first and he was cool with it.)

When our master instructor James Rich called me up to receive my new rank and belt, you betcha I was crying and I didn't mind that 100 people were watching me do it. The first-degree black belt ceremony in the Taekwondo journey is the only one during which the master instructor ties the belt on you. (For perspective: there are 17 ranks between the beginner white belt and the first-degree black belt. Then there are nine degrees of black belt. Mr. Rich is a seventh-degree black belt.)

In the three years I've been studying Taekwondo, I've failed two promotional tests.
"A couple of storms make it sweeter," instructor Julius Agh said to me after I received my black belt.

Yes, indeed.

From here on out, no more color belts for me. Just black belts with gold stripes that will indicate my degree. I have a sneaky suspicion there will be more.

A big shout out to my friend Rachel who came out to root for me. She was also my pro bono photographer for the evening. More pictures to come. Stay tuned.

For now, here are a few shots she snapped with my iPhone.

Yay!!

Me and my Jedi Master James Rich

10 comments:

  1. You are SO AWESOME! And you look so cute. You look like a very adorable little bad-a ... you know. ; ) Congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I love it! Thanks, my friend :)

      Delete
  2. oh, Lola, I am so very proud of you. And I'm glad you had a friend to support and photograph you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one awesome lady Lola. Testing was very impressive. My daughter just loves you. You definitely have something to be proud of B-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much, Stephenie. I truly appreciate your comments :)

      Delete
  4. Lola, Lola, I love that you live life TO THE FULL! We are so proud of you!

    The Lloyds down south...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you, Lola! You _are_ really cute in your gi (is that what it is called in Taekwondo? I am very proud for you and this huuuuuuge accomplishment of yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We typically just call it the uniform, but gi works too. A HUGE THANK YOU to you for walking a lot of this road with me :)

      Delete
  6. Lola, this is such an accomplishment! Your dedication is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete