Saturday, April 14, 2012

Being transparent is hard.

Being transparent is hard. It tears at my pride and knocks down the walls I try to hide behind. But I like that it gets at my heart.

For a couple of weeks now, I've been chewing on an article that has blasted my walls to smithereens. It's been that profound for me. "Dear Pastor: From a Black Female Congregant" was written by my friend Trillia. (It even got a retweet from John Piper.)

She tackles questions I've wrestled with these nine years I've been in Knoxville: what does it look like to live as a black woman of faith in a largely white city? What does it look like to date? What do interactions look like?

It was quite disconcerting to see in words the thoughts that have been rolling around in my mind.

I've been putting off blogging about this article for almost two weeks now because I just didn't know how to do it. Trillia notes that she doesn't presume to speak for all black females and neither do I. It's just such a thoughtful and thought-provoking piece that I wanted to share it. Read more here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Lola. my superficial comment first - If I had a John Piper shout out I'm fairly certain I'd feel famous. But beyond that, I am so glad you were able to read the words of someone else and see yourself in them! You are not alone, my friend, even when I can not relate to all of your experiences due to our differences not only in color, but backgrounds. But I rejoice in how much we are alike because of the Christ in us. I think the differences are beautiful, even when they can cause challenges. I am proud of you for being honest!

    ReplyDelete