Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Voting test run

I voted for the first time-ever tonight (yahoo!!), thanks to my new U.S. citizenship.

It was rather...anticlimactic.

But it was important. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I needed some help as I navigated the voting machine and selected candidates. The nice elderly gentleman in the red sweater was quite patient with me.
(I was surprised at how antiquated the machine seemed. A turn dial instead of touchpad? But I digress.)

I must confess, I relished telling everyone -- the lady who gave me my form, the one who checked my ID and the one who gave me my number -- that it was my first time :)

Then I waltzed out of there and texted my family. "Congrats on your newfound freedom," my eldest sister, Yemi, told me.
Indeed.
Now it's on to November and the presidential elections.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud and happy for my dear friend, Lola. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome!! Interesting that you have a machine - we use paper and a marker :).

    ReplyDelete