Friday, March 23, 2012

Bizarro World experience at UT

Remember this Seinfeld episode where Elaine enters Bizarro World and makes friends who are the opposite of her and Jerry in behavior? I'm having a similar experience at UT and it tickles me.

               (A shout-out to my friend Mark for the Bizarro World reference.)

Meet Terry and Kevin.


These UT facilities guys are the doppelgänger of another duo from my former life: Jim and Don.


Jim and Don work in the machine shop at the Knoxville News Sentinel and they're my good friends. They are the kings of breakfast and have held feasts in the machine shop that drew the entire building.

I noticed Terry and Kevin shortly after I came to UT last year. I would always wave or say hi to them. They work together and like Jim and Don, you rarely see one without the other.

I decided I wanted to get to know them because they reminded me of my beloved friends so I chat them up every chance I get.

Terry has been at UT for 29 years and enjoys his work. Kevin has worked there five years. He seems like an all-around nice guy. (Don has worked at the newspaper for 40 years and plans to retire at the end of the year. Jim has worked there 12 years.)

I look forward to getting to know Terry and Kevin better.

4 comments:

  1. I love how you listen and ask questions and really get to know people. Especially people many would dismiss due to their position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that my comment remained on this post, even though it was deleted! I notice the paragraph order is different, but that's about it. If you ever lose a post again ask me and it's most likely going to be in my google reader. Or if you follow yourself in google reader, your archives should be there, too (any posts you make since you subscribe to follow in google reader).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to see Terry and Kevin when I worked as a student at the McClung Museum. I think Kevin is in a gospel singing group if I recall. Great guys. Very funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty cool, Anna! Seems there is a lot to learn about these guys :)

      Delete