Wednesday, March 14, 2012

An afternoon among the stacks

I spent one afternoon this week among the stacks and I got some swag to show for it.
<--- (Be jealous.)

One of my favorite things about being a journalist/writer is this: a lot of my meetings and interviews don't take place in my office. I get out.

That's why Monday afternoon found me sitting on the sixth floor of UT's Hodges Library meeting with the new dean and peppering him with questions about his priorities and such.

The Libraries is one of my coverage areas for the university and I couldn't be happier. I am a book nerd. The smell of books thrilled me down to my toes as I walked among the stacks. I was with familiar friends.

After leaving the dean with a notebook full of story ideas (stay tuned!), my communications counterpart at the library took me on a mini tour. The funny thing about this library is that yes, they have books (tons of them), but you'd have to walk a while (and up) to find them. The library powers-that-be have turned the first couple of floors into hang-out/study spaces/coffee bar/technology labs for students. It's quite appealing, actually.

(An aside: The Hodges Library has a special collections that may rival that of a small museum.)

I left the building that day with a resolve to return and explore and a cool t-shirt the dean had made for the library staff.

3 comments:

  1. That makes me green with envy. When I was a student at UT, I'd often go up to the third or fourth floor of the library, find an empty chair, and sit and read in between classes. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll picture you when I think of this Eudora Welty quote from now on...

    “I read library books as fast as I could go, rushing them home in the basket of my bicycle. From the minute I reached our house, I started to read. Every book I seized on, from “Bunny Brown and His Sister Sue at Camp Rest-a-While” to “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea,” stood for the devouring wish to read being instantly granted. I knew this was bliss, knew it at the time. Taste isn’t nearly so important; it comes in its own time.”

    Mama Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I **LOVE** this quote. Don't mind if I borrow. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete