Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Interruptions are not my enemies

My big lesson of the day: Interruptions are not my enemies. They're my friends.
How do I know this? I got ice cream out of them. And a fun walk with that guy to the left. And new eyes.

What a frustrating...and wonderful day it's been.

First, there was the blackout at work. I was away from the office when the lights went out, which left me wondering what files I had open and if I would be able to recover the work. Then I realized, "wait, it's 3 p.m. We can't get anything done."

We went home early...which meant I got to take Plucky for a long-overdue walk. Gorgeous weather for it, too.

We got back and I realized I had time for a fitness class. I decided on Pilates. You know, keep it low-key.

But as I walked out of the house, a City of Knoxville guy dropped off a recycle bin. I tried to explain that I already had one but he was like, "no, I don't think so." So, I had to show him and explain all over again why I didn't want two...but he left the second one anyway....which meant I had to find a place for it...which made me leave late.

As I drove down Cecil Avenue in North Knoxville, I glanced to my left and caught sight of the Smoky Mountain range. Breathtaking. I actually had time to look. It made me wonder how many times I've driven down Cecil and never noticed them because I'd been in a rush.

I was feeling pretty good as I got to the University of Tennessee campus. I knew there was a basketball game at Thompson-Boling Arena tonight but I wasn't worried. Parking on that side of campus doesn't affect the recreation center, which is on the other end. What I didn't bank on was a swim meet in the building right across from the fitness facility.

Every. lot. was. full. Every. space. taken.

I drove around for 15 minutes looking for a spot, all the while grumbling and muttering bad words. I'd had enough. I was going back home. As I sat at the light near Cumberland Avenue, it was as if a thought from heaven slipped into my mind: "hey, ice cream's on sale at Kroger."

Off to Kroger I went. I looked through the ice cream cases with glee. I finally settled on black raspberry dark chocolate chunk. A fair substitute for Pilates, I think.

Another thing about the interruptions: they've given me time to write tonight's ramblings. It's been a while and I've missed writing posts.

Today was a shift in perspective. I hope to continue to see frustrating events with new eyes. Thankful eyes.

I'm off to study for my statistics exam. But first, ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good day, my friend. And the ice cream :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just remember -- the glass is ALWAYS half full!

    ReplyDelete