Thursday, January 12, 2012

Officially a student again.


I haven't bought one of these in years. -->
I felt kinda odd the other night as I stood in the school supplies aisle at Kroger. But I was also strangely giddy.

I am officially a student again. I had my first class today -- Statistics. It was surprisingly enjoyable and the stuff actually made sense.

One of the reasons I was excited about my new job at the University of Tennessee was the benefit of going back to school to earn a master's degree. For free. I'll have to pay for books and all, but that's it.

I began thinking: what do I love to do and what do I want to do?

I already have an undergrad degree in journalism and I lived the dream of being a newspaper reporter for nine and a half years.

Then I thought food. I like to eat. So, maybe a degree in something culinary? But I realized I would eat everything in class rather than pay attention, so a degree in that area probably wasn't a good idea.

Then I thought exercise. I love working out and I love helping people in their quest to eat well and stay healthy. The more I looked into the UT kinesiology graduate program -- particularly the exercise physiology concentration (it's basically exercise science) -- the more intrigued I became. I met with the department head, spoke to some professors and attended a club meeting. I think it might be a good fit.

I've got a bunch of prerequisites to do before I start the graduate program -- largely math and science. Those two subjects were never my favorite.

I'm hoping I've developed a secret love for them in the almost 10 years I've been away from undergrad. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. SO EXCITING!! I can't wait to hear all about your journey back in school. Are you taking math stats? I sure hope so. I started business stats at UT and for sure dropped after one course. Math stats was by far the easiest class I ever took in college. The hardest part? Walking up the hill to get to class. Oh, and the kid who slept through all of our classes? Yeah, I taught him stats and he even pulled a B+. I got an A+, just saying. You're going to rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness. I guess I will be living vicariously through Lola's leap back into the classroom for awhile (if you continue to blog about it -- and please do!). One of my dreams is to go back to school and earn a master's in either history or English/creative writing. I miss the scholarly life. Don't guess it will happen anytime soon, but that's OK.

    You're living the dream, my friend. I can't wait to read all about it!

    ReplyDelete