Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pearl Harbor Day and a birthday

My friend Josephine is 95 years old today.

She was celebrating her 25th birthday when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in Hawaii on this day, 70 years ago. It signaled America's entrance into World War II.

I was curious about Josephine's experience and what she was feeling on what should have been a day of joy. So, I interviewed her.

Josephine was a housewife and mother of three in Berkeley, Calif., on Dec. 7, 1941. She was in shock as she heard the news of the attack on the radio.
"It was incredible that this would happen," she said. "It was such an impractical thing...and it seemed like such a foolish thing for the Japanese to do. They were taking on something that they couldn't finish."

She added: "None of us doubted what the outcome would be: a very disastrous encounter."

I'm thrilled that Josephine lived through World War II and subsequent conflicts. How neat that we were able to become friends decades later.

To celebrate her birthday, Josephine and I went on a date to Panera on Sunday afternoon.

I love people like Josephine because I can touch history through them. She reminds me of my grandmother. I want to record their stories.

After our chat, Josephine thanked me for interviewing her.
She said with a chuckle: "I can see that your newspaper days are still with you."

1 comment:

  1. I love this! You have such a beautiful heart, Lola. And your outfit is cute :).

    ReplyDelete