Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Officially a voter. Woo hoo!

My voter registration card arrived in the mail today. Woo hoo! Finally!
Yet another bonus of my U.S. citizenship.

I registered to vote at the drivers license place the day after my October naturalization ceremony. The clerk told me the card would arrive within three weeks. I waited and waited ... and waited.
I had hoped it would come in time for the Nov. 8 elections that swept Madeline Rogero into the history books as Knoxville's first woman mayor.

December came and I got impatient. So I called the Knox County Election Commission to inquire about my card. In doing so, I learned something new. Tennessee law mandates that all election commissions in the state must stop processing voter registrations about a month before an election. This gives them time to  get ready for early voting and election day. Who knew!

Well, no worries. There's next year and the presidential elections.
Come on, November 2012!

2 comments: