Saturday, August 13, 2011

Some races you run for the t-shirt


This was a fun one.
When I saw the design for the shirt, I wanted one right away.
That and the fact that the Hotter 'n Hell 5K race director Michael Holtz was a friend. The event also was for a fantastic cause: the American Cancer Society.
So when my friend Trillia challenged me to run it with her, it didn't take much convincing for me to say yes.

I was so grateful the sun wasn't at its full blast for most of the course. The weather was tolerable. It got a bit toasty toward the end.

Some highlights:
- Seeing old friends on the course, including church friend Bryan and my former Knoxville News Sentinel editor Eric.
- The old gentleman who did the race with his walker. As he approached the finish line, everyone cheered until he crossed it. This made me teary-eyed.
- The young boy (maybe 10 or 11 years old) who was the last to finish the race. I had seen him on the course and he was just chugging along with a determined look on his face. As he ran toward the finish line, everyone applauded for him as well. Many of the runners waited until the last person finished.

The camaraderie of the running community is one of the things that fuels my desire to keep hitting the pavement. (that and my love of food.)

                                          Trillia and I all sweaty after the race :)

4 comments:

  1. Christina SouthernAugust 13, 2011 at 11:07 AM

    haha! at least you admit your motivation! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you, too. We need to get Michael to upgrade the post-race dining table next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, that's a pretty sweet shirt. And I love your race highlights.

    ReplyDelete