Thursday, July 28, 2011

Surprise breakfast send-off

You know it's going to be a good day when you start the morning with loads of pancakes, bacon, eggs and sausage.

And it was.

The Knoxville News Sentinel machine shop guys wanted to make me feel special and give me a nice send-off on this my next-to-last day at the paper.
So they spoke my love language to me: they cooked me breakfast.

Thing is, it seems just about everyone in the building knew about this surprise but me. I got to the workout room at my usual 6:30 a.m. Half an hour later, machine shop guy Don pops his head into the room and says, "Can you come downstairs in 30 minutes? We thought we would cook for you."

Short. Simple. Sweet.

I was so honored that they would do this for me. (Don and his sidekick Jim spearheaded this.)
It was such a fun way to say goodbye to the pressmen, machinists, mailers and electricians I've come to know over the last few years.

We stunk up the entire building with 12 pounds of cooked bacon - courtesy of my friend Mark - but no one was complaining.

I would have taken pictures but I was too busy stuffing my face.

I got home after breakfast and my dogs could not stop sniffing my clothes.
The look in their big, brown eyes seemed to say: "You smell like bacon but you didn't bring us any. You, tease!"

3 comments:

  1. Christina SouthernJuly 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

    Oh, Lola, that speaks volumes about your character that these guys would do this for you! You will be so greatly missed!! Thanks for being such a great example. I want to be like you when I grow up! I'm going to miss my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was thinking ( what Christina said). This brought tears to my eyes. Your reach was obviously far! What a great friend and worker you must have been to many. Wishing you the same at UTK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great surprise (and laughing about the dogs). It just shows that you made an impact at the paper. I'm proud of you, friend! And of God, of course, because I know that's who your co-workers are relating to!

    ReplyDelete