Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Crossing over to the dark side

I've done it now.
Gleefully, I might add.

After more than eight years at the Knoxville News Sentinel as a reporter, I'm going into public relations.
I've accepted a job at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville in the media relations department.
The offer came this morning, actually. I start the new gig in August.
Funny enough, today is my eight-and-a-half-year anniversary at the newspaper.
Journalists often refer to public relations as "the dark side." (I've done it, too. Many times.)
But hey, maybe I can shed some light over there :)

8 comments:

  1. Nooooooo! You will be SO missed. I hope you love your new job and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, sweet Lola. I am so happy for you ... and yet so sad for all of us at KNS. But this will be a fantastic new adventure for you and I know you will shine!
    I love you, lady =)
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. woohoo!!! I am so very excited for you. And I must say, public relations is the light :). I don't know that I would go that far, but you can for sure be moral and ethical as a pr professional. Time to sign up for PRSA. They've got some fun conferences UT can send you to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, friend! It's no so bad. Honest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lola! I'm in Room 209 in the Communications Building at WUOT -- welcome to UT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy trails, my friend. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how strange, Lola, I covered education for the NS and was also there for a total of 8.5 years. (we need the music from "Twilight Zone" here.
    You'll miss the newsroom, but will appreciate your new job for reasons like stability and growth. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete