Tuesday, June 21, 2011

An ode to home

                                  (Aerial view of NYC from my Delta flight.
                                  We're coming in from the Brooklyn side.)

I'm not the homesick type but lately I've been missing my family very much.
I decided to do something about it.
A red-eye flight and a yellow cab ride later, I ended up at my parents' Brooklyn, NY, home last Wednesday.
Some thoughts on why I love my stomping grounds of New York City:

Home is...
-- An everything bagel with plain cream cheese
-- When your parents let you keep your keys even though you haven't lived there in eight years
-- Squeezing my nephews and niece

                              My 2-year-old niece. Isn't she a cutie? :)

-- Finding your bedroom as it was in high school and college
-- Watching your dad loop a tie for your not-so-little baby brother as he readied for a job interview
-- Seeing your alma mater get a shout out on the subway


-- Getting a professional pedicure and manicure for $18 including tax
-- Finding your favorite landmark, the Brooklyn Bridge, where you left it
-- Eating at authentic ethnic restaurants

               (Miriam in Park Slope has amazing food. Brunch was excellent.)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you were able to go. It really is true that home is where you hang your heart...

    ReplyDelete