Friday, June 10, 2011

The gift of a spontaneous afternoon

Her text beeped in at 12:18 p.m. as I stared at a blank computer screen, trying to write a story about social promotion.
"You around today? Want to do a quick lunch?"
My friend Ansley was in town. That's all I needed to get the creative juices flowing.

Three and a half hours after getting the text message, Ansley and I were sitting on the patio at Cafe 4 on Market Square. As we chowed on grilled chicken club and pulled pork sandwiches, we caught up on life.

(You see, Ansley is no ordinary friend. She's the one who challenged me to start running in 2007. Our early morning runs became a time when we deepened our friendship. Her life is a picture of the beauty, pain and reward of endurance lived out well. Even under great stress, she has a genuine smile on her face. She's tackled wifeyhood, mommyhood and the stress of law school with such energy and passion. This woman is my kind of superhero.)

Coming into today, I knew I would leave work a bit early and have a few extra hours to play with. Typically, I would have something planned but I decided to leave it free and see what happened. I'm glad I did.

As Ansley and I finished eating, another friend named Donna walked by and we chatted for a few minutes.
We three decided to walk over to Rita's for Italian Ices.

(Ansley in the middle and Donna to the right.)

As I listened to these two women talk, it hit me: they were responsible for bringing two of my loves into my life.
Ansley introduced me to running. Donna, to Taekwondo (she's a second-degree black belt at my school.)
These two sports have become more than physical activity for me. They're different avenues in which I do life and community with people.

Today, I was reminded through Ansley and Donna about the blessing of not planning every moment. It's good to leave room for little miracles that spontaneously pop into your life.

What a perfect ending to a long week.

1 comment:

  1. Fun and so true that it's best not to plan every little thing (like I tend to do). And Italian Ice? Great choice.

    ReplyDelete