Saturday, May 28, 2011

Love your children. "It's illegal to kill them."

Love your children "because it's illegal to kill them."

That's the best commencement speech I've ever heard!

This evening I attended the high school graduation of my pal Micah. (He's a 3rd degree black belt in my Taekwondo school. I want to be like him when I grow up.)
The ceremony was unlike any I've ever been to in that the parents were the ones to hand diplomas to their kids. They also had the chance to say a few words.

Some parents had the crowd laughing. (See opening sentence of this post.)
Others had us dabbing our eyes with tissues as they recounted what they had learned from their children even as they taught them.
I liked that several of the fathers were not afraid to show their hearts as they exhorted their children.
"Your mom in her great wisdom told me to bring Kleenex just in case I need it," a dad of a grad said.
It came in handy.
"I've been told that real men cry," said another father to his daughter.

I especially loved when one of the dads bestowed upon his daughter the words written long ago by a king named Lemuel:
"You are clothed with strength and dignity; You can laugh at the days to come."

Congrats to all 2011 grads!!

1 comment:

  1. What a neat graduation! Way better than the ones I've suffered through, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete