Friday, May 13, 2011

Journalism = habitat for insanity


(Hehe. One of the fun signs I saw at the Poynter Institute)

I spent last week at the Poynter Institute, a world-renowned school for journalists.
For five days, I enjoyed the Florida sun and also learned how to tell better stories using digital tools.
I tried my hand at editing video, capturing audio, taking better photos and got tips on how to do this blogging thing better.

There's no room for the single-skilled journalist anymore, they say. (You know, "they." Those people.)

Some of the most incredible people were part of my cohort. They hailed from places like Canada and Nigeria and Wisconsin and New York.
Rest assured, Knoxville, Tenn., was well-represented :-)

I needed last week. For a while now, I've been feeling like I'm stuck in a rut. The seminar lit a fire under me.

Sometimes, I've wondered why I'm still in the business. (It's been over nine years). Then I remember. Oh, yeah. The power of words still has a place in the world.

Here's my ode to it:


(Giving the word globe at Poynter some love)

An aside: I'm always on the lookout for chuckles. This shirt at the Poynter store did the job ... because it's true.


2 comments:

  1. Love the shirt. I'm one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog, Lola.
    Missy, Omaha.

    ReplyDelete