Friday, April 15, 2011

An unexpected lovey

You know how some days you just need a little something to make it through? Today was one of those for me.
I went back to work Thursday after a wonderful vacation in Denver and Chattanooga. I even made it a two-day work week to soften the blow.
Yet, by mid afternoon today, I was losing steam.
Around 2 p.m., a co-worker named Chuck came by my desk and gave me this from his garden.



Totally unexpected. So totally needed. The peony did something to my heart and my outlook. Suddenly, the story I was working on seemed to write itself. The clock raced a little faster and soon enough, it was 5:45 p.m. and time to start the weekend.

I thought over my week and realized many loveys had come my way. I just didn't recognize them:
The Dove dark chocolates my Chattanooga friend Angela left for me in her guest room on Tuesday.
The herd of Great Danes I saw Wednesday at Victor Ashe Park while walking with my friend Caroline.
The waffle, egg and bacon breakfast my machine shop friends at work put together Thursday.
The peony today.
The Oreo cookies my editor bought for our department today. (Food is one of my love languages if you hadn't already noticed.)
The glass of White Zinfandel my friend Julie had waiting for me when I met her for dinner tonight.

What unexpected loveys have come into your world today? This week? Were they so ordinary that you didn't see them? Think again. Go back and look. And keep your eyes open.

2 comments:

  1. It's the little things, Lola. Thank you for the reminder!

    (And welcome to blog world. It's addicting!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little late to this but thanks for stopping by, Jake. Blogging definitely is addicting. Just wish I had more time :)

    ReplyDelete