Thursday, April 14, 2011

Scars are sexy.

I saw a sticker on a car recently that said "scars are tattoos with better stories."
I got to thinking about my scars -- like the one from a surgery on my belly button to fix a hernia when I was 14.
Others are not as sexy -- like the one on my left ankle when I nicked myself while shaving a couple of weeks ago. I'm not so proud of that one.
I think of my friend who bears a long gash where her left breast used to be. That gash proclaims her victorious over a mass of cells that tried to claim her life.
My favorite scar story, though, is that of a Jewish Carpenter who more than 2,000 years ago bore nail wounds on His hands and feet while hanging naked on a cross in the Middle East. For hundreds of years, those scars have been making people whole -- emotionally, spiritually, mentally and physically.
Kinda gives me a new perspective on what I think are the unsightly things on my bod.
My fellow scar-bearers, let's rock 'em.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Lola! Every day I feel so unworthy of the fact that He died on the cross for ME. ME!! And His death cleansed me and made me whole. It's overwhelming for sure.

    I'm gonna rock my scars, too!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me say it again, I am so glad you're blogging. I love your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Scars are tattoos with better stories." That's really funny, and so true. For a month when we first came here we lived in Williamsburg -- a place where you stand out if you *don't* have a tattoo. Love the connection to the Greatest Scar Story, too.

    ReplyDelete