Sunday, April 24, 2011

Living my own story

"The Biblical view of things is resurrection: not a future that is just a consolation for the life you never had, but a restoration of the life you always wanted." -- Tim Keller, The Reason for God

I paid a quick visit to my 94-year-old friend Josephine today.
During the course of our conversation, she noted that she married at 20 and if she hadn't birthed four children in five years, she would have liked to become a journalist.
My response was something like this: "But being a journalist is not the story God gave you."
Her life took a different turn that included being the mother of six, a short story writer (some pieces which were bought by BBC radio) and a world traveler.
I said what I said, not because I was trying to be flippant, but because I find that I often compare my life to others' and wish for things they have in theirs. That's when discontent creeps in.

Josephine, after my response, paused for a few seconds and then kissed my cheek.
"Good point," she said.

The challenge to embrace my own story and the life God has given me was brought home again today, Easter, the celebration of Jesus Christ's resurrection from the dead.
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full," Jesus said. (John 10:10)
I pray for courage to live my story with its twists and turns, heartaches and joys. I desire that the way I do life would encourage others to embrace theirs and live it well.

Bonus: After the sunrise service at church this morning, I walked out to the parking lot and saw the sun rise :)


Here's one of the songs I heard today that's still running around in my head. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture. And thank you for the reminder that God is writing my story and it's good that it looks different than others!

    ReplyDelete