Thursday, April 28, 2011

I think God cried, too.

It's been storming and raining in Knoxville for the last several days.
It's exactly how I've been feeling on the inside.
As I drove through the downpour Wednesday, I said out loud: "God, these are like your tears. Thanks for commiserating with me."

My uncle, my dad's younger brother, died in Nigeria on Tuesday. My heart especially hurts for my 88-year-old grandma. It seems so wrong when parents have to bury their children.
Then on Wednesday, my old New York City pastor David Wilkerson died in a car crash. Interestingly enough, he wrote one final blog post Wednesday.

I love that the Bible reminds us that God is very near and present in the midst of our experiences and mess.
I love that He's not caught off guard as we are.
And I love Psalm 56:8, which reminds me that God sees. "You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?"

This week has been such a sobering reminder about the brevity of life and the importance of living purposefully.

By the way, to add what seems like insult to injury, I finally checked out my car this morning and saw that last night's hail had left me little dent surprises.

*Shoulder shrug.*

God is STILL good.

2 comments:

  1. Lola you are so right, God is crying with you. I am so sorry for your losses, it's just not fair. From watching my Grandpa suffer and grieve over a loss of his son I can imagine how broken your Grandma feels right now. As for the hail - kind of good news there. Have your insurance company look at it and if you don't need to get it fixed, pocket the money for your next vehicle purchase. That's what I did with my last car!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your losses, Lola. My thoughts are with you.

    Thanks for the poignant piece.

    ReplyDelete