Monday, April 25, 2011

Hi, I'm Lola. I'm a book nerd.

I told my friend Mark recently that reading is like watching TV except the scenes are in your head.
I don't think he bought it.
This weekend I saw the most recent movie adaptation of Jane Eyre at the Regal Cinemas Downtown West theater.
(Here's a great synopsis of the book and a review of the recent movie.)

To understand how truly enjoyable this was for me, you have to know that Jane Eyre is my favorite piece of English literature. I've read it half a dozen times.
After watching the movie, I pulled the book off my shelf. It's up next after I'm done with Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (I might sneak in The Silver Chair before it, though.)

Jane Eyre, written in 1847 by Charlotte Bronte, has suspense, cruelty, agony, a mysterious love interest, a (literally) crazy lady who likes to set things on fire, and blood. (dun, dun, duuuuun!)

It's the story of an orphan girl who, despite the hand dealt her, triumphs over hardship after hardship. She has a quick and sharp wit, which is especially delightful to see (and read) when she puts Mr. Rochester in his place.

I fell in love with the book in 10th grade in Mr. Milkman's English class.
I liked it because even though constant disappointments come Jane's way (and there seems to be waaaaay too many for a petite girl), she struggles to find joy in the midst of it.
I also connected with its theme of forgiveness particularly when the person who wronged you has not sought it -- a huge lesson I was learning at the time.
(By the way, forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean you forget the wrong done to you. But it does take away some, if not all, the sting.)

A quick Internet search shows there are at least 20 film and television adaptations of Jane Eyre.
Thank goodness for Netflix.

9 comments:

  1. Have you read Rebecca? I just read it a few weeks ago and it was so deliciously good! I'm a Jane Eyre lover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have. I **LOVE** Rebecca!! I read it in that same English class. Have you read Wuthering Heights? That's another favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From one book nerd to another, I say, "Way to go!"

    Here's a blog you might like, Lola. It inspired me to buy two Henry James novels at McKay's after work today.

    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2011/04/death_disports_with_writers_mo.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, enough of the book geek stuff. Was your 10th grade teacher really named Mr. Milkman? -- Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jake: Thanks for the blog link. I'm so looking forward to it!!

    Dee Dee, he sure is! Paul Milkman. One of the best teachers I've ever had. Time always seemed to pass too quickly in his class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been watching the 1940 Rebecca film in 30-minute segments over the last few days and I've got the miniseries to try after that! I can't believe that I've never read Wuthering Heights, but I am planning to tackle it soon. I tried once before but the first couple of chapters confused me with all the family relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the Criterion Collection 1940 Hitchcock "Rebecca" DVD, which is loaded with extras. Haunting film.

    @Lola -- you'll love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you read The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde? I discovered his books this past year and they are great for lovers of classics who want a light fun read. The Eyre Affair is about Jane Eyre, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, awesome!! I had not heard of Jasper Fforde. He's on my list now, though. Thanks for the tip, Meryl :)

    ReplyDelete