Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Eyes to see ... really see.

I sat next to a guy with the bluest eyes on a flight from Denver to Atlanta earlier this week. During the three-hour trip, we said maybe 10 words to each other. ("Hi." "Thanks for passing my cup." "Whew, bumpy flight.")
When the plane landed, he whipped out his cellphone and this is what I heard:
"My uncle died. Well, he's about to. He had a brain aneurysm. I'm not sure when I'll be back to work but I'll call you."
I was floored.
We just never know what the people around us are going through and we're oblivious to it.
As we waited for the cabin doors to open, we chatted for a few minutes. His name is Andrew. It's his mother's brother who's dying. He came to Atlanta to say goodbye to his 59-year-old uncle before life support is pulled. He's there to be with his mom who's taking her brother's imminent death pretty hard.
Wow.

God, give me Your eyes to see people as You see them.

Just finished "The Wisdom of Tenderness" by Brennan Manning
Currently reading "Prince Caspian" by C.S. Lewis

2 comments:

  1. Lola, what a beautiful thought! It's so easy to get caught up in our own little worlds...lately I have found myself praying that God would help me see my patients as HE see them.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    -Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank YOU, Sonya. Appreciate the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete