Friday, April 22, 2011

Are you bitter or better?

Happy Friday, y'all!
My friend Sarah and I decided to celebrate by taking in a movie and dinner.
She suggested Soul Surfer, which is based on the true story of Bethany Hamilton, the Hawaiian-born surfer who loses her left arm as a result of a shark attack on Halloween Day 2003. She was 13.


**Minor movie spoiler alert here**
After the incident, Bethany struggles to make sense of why such a terrible thing would happen and what it means for her dream of becoming a pro surfer.
One of the best scenes is when she takes a trip to Thailand following the tsunami of 2004. There, she meets a woman who lost her family, her home, her livelihood, her everything, when the waters swept into her hometown.
Bethany, overcome, bursts into tears.
"Don't be sorry for compassion, Bethany," her trip leader tells her. "It can move us to do amazing things and it can help us gain new perspective."
Shortly after, she sees a little girl who's afraid of the ocean because it's destroyed so much in her life, too.
Bethany, who had pretty much given up on her dream, gets into the water and helps the little girl overcome her fear.

It was such a beautiful picture of using one's loss and pain to help others through theirs.

That scene reminded me of what a mentor told me in high school: I could let the hard things that come into my life make me bitter or better.
I've desired since then to see the closed doors and broken dreams in my life through that lens.
Tons of good life lessons in the movie as well as breathtaking scenery (and some eye candy, too).

By the way, I'm always on the lookout for random things I can file under the "you can't make this stuff up" category. After the movie, I made a pit stop in the ladies room and this caught my eye.

Perhaps the most fun part of the theater experience was the guy who took our tickets. His name was ... Jedi.

Recently finished: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis
Currently reading: Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment